Thursday, November 19, 2009

HNL --> LAX --> BOS --> LGA

Smarte Cartes at the airport are genius. The trick is to wait by the rent-a-car shuttles ‘cause THAT’S where people leave their empty SmarteCartes (from now on they shall be pronounced smart-ay cart-ayz). I refused to pay the $4 for one SmarteCarte but once I had one in my possession, life at LAX was grand! I have 7 hours to kill between flights at LAX today. Sitting on the plane is never the best – and I totally got stuck in the same aisle with the tantrum-throwing-terrible-two-year-old boy. So, my SmarteCarte and I traveled from Terminal 2 to Terminal 7, checked in our luggage ($50 later for two bags) and headed to the International Terminal for some food and to kill some time.

Julie and Julia was the movie playing on the airplane-ride to Los Angeles. I have the voice commentary in my head now – since there’s no one around for me to talk to. Unlike Julie Powell, I am not a writer. However, I think I have some pretty funny things to say sometimes and would like – just as everyone does – to get these thoughts out of my head.

I realize it’s more difficult than you think to travel in the post-911 FFA era - plus all this talk about daylight savings... It’s only 5:15pm in LA but it looks like 10 o’clock with the chilling winds and dark sky. It makes me want to go home to Snuggles already.

Example #1) When to eat? I don’t think I’m hungry - they fed me a little snack on the plane – but now it’s dinner time and getting cold so I think I should eat. I’m about to hop on an overnight flight and will REALLY be screwed up on any kind of eating schedule.

Example #2) Without being able to take water on the flights anymore, you are totally screwed when it comes to hydration. Even if I grab water at one of the restaurants, I’m going to have to dump it at security before I get to my gate. What a waste. I brought my Nalgene in hopes of staving off thirst, but I have already had to dump its contents into a security trash can.

Example #3) Speaking of security: I had to remove my shoes, belt, two jackets, and scarf while taking my laptop out of my purse and placing my gallon Ziploc of fluid containers into a security bin. Talk about feeling exposed!

Anyways, there's tons more to talk about on Sarah's Great Adventure Across America day 1 but I gotta take another nap...

Ciao!


2 comments:

  1. Some travel pointers for cold weather places. I carry an extra plastic bag in my carry on (grocery size) and before I get to the front in goes the jackets, scarf etc. Jewelry in the regular purse with phone, change etc. That way when I get to the end, I put my shoes in the plastic bag with my coat, purse and laptop bag over my shoulder and I waddle away in my socks, laptop and grocery bag in my two hands, to a less conjested place to get myself together.

    Drink lots of mainland beer :) it's something you'll never equal on Hawaii. And when you're not sure what to eat, don't ever get into the burger king line... it never turns out good... find a place and order soup.
    There's usually always a water fountain by the bathroom. That's always my first stop. It's hard to drink water when it's cold, but SO important. PS. Most coffee shops will give you hot water for free or very little. I usually bring tea bags. It's nice when the plane/terminal is cold and it helps you hydrate and feel a little less strung out.
    Blah... Blah... Blah... too much advise... what I really wanted to tell you in this comment is that I am SO jealous of your travels! I crave the kind of adventure you're on. You better be journaling like crazy! Live it up! Attack the world with your eyes open! I'm so excited to hear what you see!

    ps. yes, my mother still makes us wear pantyhose to church hehe... mainland fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nalgene and you had to dump it out before security...FILL IT UP AT A WATER FOUNTAIN once you're through security. You doctors, don't you know anything? Now I know why doctors never leave the hospital--because out in the real world you can't handle!

    ReplyDelete