Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday

I would normally like to be bumping elbows and screaming at the mayhem of deal-seekers on the second best shopping holiday of the year (the first is the weekend before Christmas) but instead, I'm sitting in the glorious quiet of the New York Public Library. I needed Wi-Fi to work on my laptop and found the sanctity of the NYPL 3rd floor. The old halls are decorated with portraits of the greats: Washington, Roosevelt, a few madames; and vintage chandeliers hang from the ceiling of intricately carved ivory. I was able to complete some car rental reservations, jot on my blog, and write some postcards...

My mother asked me what I might want for Christmas this year. I cannot think of a single thing. I mean, there are the occasional pair of earrings in the window that I might admire, but I don't think I need anything that my mother could get me for the holidays this year. I think it's all of the spending money traveling that's got my panties in a bunch. I can barely pay for my travel bills and my utilities, so I decided to make gifts this year.

To my followers: How do you feel about giving &/or receiving hand-made gifts at Christmas?

It's hard to keep up with the gift-making because it does take a lot of time and you want it to be something meaningful to the receiver. I don't know if all this talk about making gifts, spending money, or the weather has given me this headache, but I must pause for some Tylenol...

It's also hard to keep up with sending postcards. I will be leaving New York tomorrow for California and I've only sent a couple 'Thank You' postcards to my interviewers. Don't worry, you will all get them - can't promise you will get them by Christmas, but I'll try.

Have a dark shopping holiday :)

file:///Users/SarahRae/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Modified/2006/Oct%2030,%202006/CIMG5026.JPG



No comments:

Post a Comment